Thursday, December 27, 2012

Calearth Workshops

          So I am going to start looking into the Calearth workshops for next year. The week long session is the one I would like to take. I think that would give me a good grounding in building the Superadobe style. The week long session is $1,600:

Upcoming Workshop Dates:
2012-2013
Workshop Dates:
Four Day Workshops
December 5-8, 2013
February 20-23, 2013
July 10-13, 2013
One Week Workshops
November 5-10, 2012
March 18-23, 2013
April 20-27, 2013
May 20-25, 2013
June 17-22, 2013


They have camping on-site as well as the emergency shelters they have build for those that want to stay. I think I might just stay on-site so I would not have to worry about a hotel, rental car and that extra cost. Though I might just want that as well. Will have to look into the weather during whichever time I could go.

Here is the schedule of classes being taught:

Topics Covered:
  • The principle of the arch
  • Superadobe basics
  • Soils practicum and discussion
  • Super-adobe with stabilized earth
  • Plaster workshop with stabilized earth
  • Learning to read blueprints, elements of design, placing windows and doors
  • Contrasting domes with vaults, vaulted roofing system, dome geometry
  • Site planning, orientation, simple solar passive strategies
  • Compass theory and application
  • Waterproofing, foundations
  • Ceramics discussion and Introduction
  • Building with brick

No comments:

Post a Comment